Thursday 11 November 2010

El Soumaie : Akmem Hand Made Cloths

weave13

Anwar Ayed Ghobran doesn't know exactly how long his family has been weaving on these looms, a least as far back as his grandfather, but I would guess many generations before that. I spotted a loom through an open doorway after we visited has ramshakled fabric shop, of course I couldn't resist a tour.


weave3

weave6

weave9


weave12



weave5

weave1

weave10

Based in the Nile side town of Akhmen in Upper Egypt, about 250 km north of Luxor, this technique of weave has obviously remained the same since the mists of time. I'm no weave expert but the amazing way of storing the warp on these enormous bobbins is something I have never seen before.

weave11

1 comment:

  1. long time far from The Curious Eye! happy to be back,,, great posts as always ... I wish you a great new year ,, kiss from Italy ..PAULA

    ReplyDelete